Genesis G70 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 Kia GT is a rwd sedan that pushes 365hp with some real sporty looks that is essentially a Genesis G70 under a different blanket. It's a twinned Genesis G70.
We are expecting around 365 horses out of the top of the range V6 turbocharged engine and rear-wheel drive with the 8 speed auto transmission. It is also possible that an hybrid and inline-4 version might be offered.
2018 Kia GT Is A 365hp Genesis G70 In Disguise ? Autoomobile

·
Registered
396 Posts
Not sure if you know but that's the concept. Recently a production model photo was leaked which thankfully is close enough to the concept.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that picture specifically was the concept but I actually did not know the production model was already shown. You're right though, that is definitely a good means close to the concept which is great. Automobile.com is calling it the poor mans BMW M6.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Apparently the final teaser. There's a lot of vents, and sleek lines...

3.3L Twin-Turbo, the same one found in the Genesis G80. 365hp to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only a few more days left and we'll be able to see this thing at the Detroit auto show. You can bet publications are going to be all over it. Wonder how long it'll be until we see reviewers testing them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Only a few more days left and we'll be able to see this thing at the Detroit auto show. You can bet publications are going to be all over it. Wonder how long it'll be until we see reviewers testing them.
With how production ready it looked in that one picture I can't imagine it being much longer, maybe before the first quarter of the year is out. But we never find out till it actually happens, no warning, no teaser, nothing.

At least what we see in Detroit will build a solid foundation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's a video of the debut at NAIAS. It does look pretty long.. but it is sleek. Love that little vent at the bottom of the fender and on the hood.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The great thing about that is it could mean Kia/Hyundai is releasing this to test the waters so maybe down the road they can release something under the Genesis brand. At the rate things are moving at currently I can see that happening. If Mercedes, Porsche and all the other brands can have success in that segment there's no reason why Genesis can't.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Genesis can and will definitely get it. Genesis is the brand developed to battle guys like Mercedes and Audi and BMW and when they get their own AMG,M,S or RS variant or whatever, it'll be lethal.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There was this HCD-14 concept which is a good example of their intention to do something in this segment and what matters are footprints like this. After all there has to be some weight in these ideas to spend $1 million + to make it happen.

Fortunately now the ball is rolling and they're starting small with Kia and Genesis has been working through its first few new models. Exciting times.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Simply put the G70 is going to be a luxury sport vehicle so if you want the level of luxury and performance had with the German brands then the G70 will be for you. If you want a level of performance and simplicity like what Subaru puts out, then the Stinger is right up your alley.

All comes down to your budget and how fancy or simple you want to get.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Up to your preferences really and the approach your going for. We still have to wait to see what production models are going to look like to be able to make any solid decision anyhow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This here is a video of the winter testing the Kia Stinger GT was enduring. I'm sure the G70 will be put through the same paces. I would love to make it out to one of those ice pads though, that looks like some serious fun and great practice for someone to hone in their skills in the winter ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lol there are events and courses and ice track days you could potentially look into. It may involve you traveling a great deal out though so I'm not too sure if it's worth it. If you really want to go, then go for it. Otherwise find a big empty parking lot, wait for the snowiest day, and take your chances haha!

·
Registered
396 Posts
If Kia wants to attract the sort of interest other brands have done succesfuly then offering winter driving courses might be the trick, much like what BMW has been doing for a while now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those courses sound awesomely fun and beyond that, they actually teach you how to react as a lot of people in the presence of snow overreact and that's when problems happen. Far too many people do that for that matter...

·
Registered
77 Posts
People failing at winter driving or just any sort of driving in precipitation is a completely different discussion on it's own that I can rant on for days on end.

But the teaching aspect is huge and that's mainly why a lot of people go and do those things. To really hone and refine their skills in bad conditions.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Those courses sound awesomely fun and beyond that, they actually teach you how to react as a lot of people in the presence of snow overreact and that's when problems happen. Far too many people do that for that matter...
They sure are. Even those that cant make it out to these events can watch all the videos out there on them since its easy to learn from that and practice on your own in a parking lot and on quiet roads - something much more common for people to do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts