Genesis G70 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although this is technically the Genesis New York Concept, most of here really know it has more to do with the G70 than any other future Genesis model. With that being said there's a lot to get from it.

One being proportions which in a real life setting such as an auto show, is easy to gauge.

Post your observations, thoughts, and more below.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The proportions are perfect, and I'm hoping they keep the steep roofline as well. Yea, the rear passengers will get less headroom, but how often will you have rear passengers anyways? The clean look is worth it IMO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The roof line doesn't bother me one bit and like said above, I'll rarely have anyone in the rear anyhow. I do hope those fender vents do get some work done to them though with some sort of metal finish or real vents of some sort.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't see something that intricate come out on the production body to be honest and it may even just get flattened out completely. Considering it's on the concept though, someone may come out with a kit that could sort of emulate it perhaps

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those vents can work and it's not too ambitious. Even Lexus did something similar to their F models. Hyundai needs some characteristics like that and this will be one of them. Of course its tough to say for sure since this will be the first time but in the end its very practical, that matters a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see very little tying this to the G70 spy photos that are out there. I do see some very subtle accent similarities, but the major things such as the swollen aggressive rear quarters are missing. I hope dearly the production car has some type of real front fender vent, and not just a character line. And lastly, I'm happy to see the production car does NOT have that "drip-off" rear end treatment of the NY Concept. That design language has always seemed to project a certain .... "weakness" type thing to me, ... kinda like a man with weak "sloped-off" shoulders instead of a manly broad shouldered projection! The only car I've seen where that works to any degree is the Mercedes "S" class, and even there, Benz had to terminate the sloping rear end with a sharp terminating crease line, which the NY Concept does NOT have! Anyways, glad that didn't make it onto the production car!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I see very little tying this to the G70 spy photos that are out there. I do see some very subtle accent similarities, but the major things such as the swollen aggressive rear quarters are missing. I hope dearly the production car has some type of real front fender vent, and not just a character line. And lastly, I'm happy to see the production car does NOT have that "drip-off" rear end treatment of the NY Concept. That design language has always seemed to project a certain .... "weakness" type thing to me, ... kinda like a man with weak "sloped-off" shoulders instead of a manly broad shouldered projection! The only car I've seen where that works to any degree is the Mercedes "S" class, and even there, Benz had to terminate the sloping rear end with a sharp terminating crease line, which the NY Concept does NOT have! Anyways, glad that didn't make it onto the production car!
That was a great break down of it. The slope and the reference you made immediately made me visualize it and now I can't unsee it haha. Weren't the A7 doing the same thing as well?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed.
Whoever Hyundai has on their design team knows design well. Even the concept with its flaws you mentioned (which I agree with) still looks better than a lot of concepts i've seen in my time.

They might be on track for something that could rival the design of MB's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The designs would definitely reach that of MB but they still won't be regarded close to the same for a while unfortunately. On the other hand.. we get something executive looking for a cheaper price and nobody would suspect it ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the same sort of goes for Mercedes since they have some of the most high end features a luxury car can have these days but the reserved, subtle looks to go with it. Hyundai's Genesis line up has always been like that too. So I guess we can say this is a poor mans Mercedes

·
Registered
70 Posts
That essentially something I wouldn't mind saying to be honest because as of now, that's what it looks like it'll be. But it'll be a poor mans MB just in features and value wise. Looks wise, they look different lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts