Genesis G70 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up against the Kia Stinger GT and Infiniti's Q50 S, the Genesis G70 3.3T always came out on top in three drag races. Yea, they're in different segment, but this proves the G70 is the faster Korean car. I'm a bit surprised that it beat the Stinger considering it was meant to be Kia's performance sedan and I've heard great things about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Up against the Kia Stinger GT and Infiniti's Q50 S, the Genesis G70 3.3T always came out on top in three drag races. Yea, they're in different segment, but this proves the G70 is the faster Korean car. I'm a bit surprised that it beat the Stinger considering it was meant to be Kia's performance sedan and I've heard great things about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiVCAfd5Hro
While the Stinger is a great performing car for Kia, the G70 is lighter and smaller. I expected this result. There have been articles saying the G70 will be quicker.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I expected this because if you think about it, Hyundai is obligated to make the G70 faster than the Stinger. If you were to look at similar examples elsewhere in the automotive world you would see that this is the case, Stinger faster and better than the G70 is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do make a good point as the Genesis brand is expected to be one of luxury and performance while Kia is still in the early stages with those models. Also for got the G70 is more compact and lighter, which made all the difference in a race when both cars use the same 3.3-liter twin-turbo V-6 engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another video of Genesis competing with E92 M3, CAMARO SS and CTS-V in drag racing. I don't want to spoiler, but I must admit that I was really impressed about G70's performance against E92 M3.

Here is the link - youtube.com/watch?v=N9UaHign-AM

·
Registered
396 Posts
Another video of Genesis competing with E92 M3, CAMARO SS and CTS-V in drag racing. I don't want to spoiler, but I must admit that I was really impressed about G70's performance against E92 M3.

Here is the link - youtube.com/watch?v=N9UaHign-AM
Even better is the fact that they have plans for an N Sport that should take these Genesis models to newer heights of performance. Of all Genesis models to get to that level, the G70 should be a first, similar to how hard BMW pushes its M3 and M4.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
You only gave half the story, the other part is its not happening right now. The idea isn't a complete flop but just put off till a later date:
You don't exactly know that. Neither does Genesis. He pretty much said there are no plans. There are plans, however, for Hyundai to get the N treatment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they do decide to release a N Sport model, then Genesis may as well wait for the next generation G70 to come out with a higher performance variant. A new look is to be expected, may as well give us a new engine as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, the G70 beat the 360 HP Infiniti hybrid. I've always thought about the Q50RS 400 (the 400 HP version) as the G70's competition, more than the 300 HP version. Given the results with the 360 HP version, I would expect the RS 400 to win against the G70. The hybrid does provide a lot of low-rpm torque from its electric motor but still, I would expect the 400 HP 3.0 to do well against the G70 in this sort of comparison.

So, what we have is the G70 competing against one car (Stinger) with the same power plant but additional weight and another that's a hybrid and isn't really the model most would consider analogous to the G70. Under those conditions, the deck seems stacked in the G70's favor and there's little surprise that it won.

The G70 is still a great car but this comparison doesn't strike me as all that informative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts