Genesis G70 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Genesis’s near-luxury, entry level sedan has recently been spotted roaming around under camouflage.

Expected to be a BMW 3 Series fighter, the G70 is expected to be the more affordable sedan under the Genesis nameplate. Still in its infancy stage after branching off from its parent company Hyundai, Genesis needs a volume seller and the G70 is going to help the brand grow if successful. It certainly won’t be as spacious as the G90 flagship model or the mid-sized G80 but it should prove to be the more-popularly priced model of the lineup.

We may have seen a preview of the G70 in the Genesis Hybrid Sport Sedan concept model that was revealed at the New York auto show this year. Of course, the G70’s production model will not have the same aggressive profile as the concept but maybe some design elements will be carried over.

It’s hard to see under all that camouflage but the front facia looks like it could have the concept’s wide cheeks and mesh grille. Everything else has most likely been toned down including the skinny tail-lamps, ducktail deck lid, and headlamps. Instead of quad pipes, the G70 may be getting fat dual tailpipes.

As for the powertrain, we really don’t know what Genesis will put under the hood. AutoBlog is hoping to see the G90’s twin-turbocharged Lambda 3.3-liter V6 in the highest performance G70 trim. This is an unlikely scenario, we’re probably going to see something tamer like a 2.0-liter turbo inline-four or the G80’s 3.8-liter V6.

Maybe Genesis will unveil the G70 next spring at one of the larger international auto shows.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Starting to remind me of the Q50, but just a bit bigger. If it's going to look how i'm thinking it will, this will be a major hit especially if they use it for an N Peformance version since that will = domination.

And just to think a couple decades ago we were laughing at Hyundai's...

·
Registered
77 Posts
If this is going to be expected to go against the 3-series, then it will also be expected to go up against the Alfa Romeo Giulia that'll be hitting North America soon. Gonna be cool to see how they all stack against each other.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wonder why they add more camouflage after it's already been spied. Maybe more changes have been made ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Either it will come with quad exhaust under some higher range trims that aren't high performance or we're seeing some special N Performance edition here. But the brakes don't seem to suggest that. Unless i'm not making the right connection here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Those brakes actually do look quite large come to think of it. Look at the caliper, it isn't your regular tiny ones. You could be on to something with the N Performance edition or some sort of performance/sport variant.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That second pcture you can definitely see what looks to be like dual piston calipers. Which means the fronts have to at least be 2 or more. Which translates to performance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
ride height looks a bit high unless that was for some reason related to the testing they're doing.
plus car makers are known to mess with spy models

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmm.. it is high, but then again, it is a sedan. The fusion sport is a performance variant and that still has a bit of height on it ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The ride height looks fine for what the G70 is, a luxury sedan that wasn't made for high performance. It doesn't really need to sit so close to the ground, I rather like to sit a bit higher.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't even think "super sedan" is what it should be classified as, right now that's too lofty as a goal for Hyundai, instead starting off by probing the market with a "sports sedan" is the way to go... then down the line maybe offer up a "super sedan".

It might look "super" but that's as far as it should go to start.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Too bad the G70 won't have the turbocharged Lambda 3.3-liter V6, it'll draw crowds of buyers to the brand. Sure it could be a loss leader even if they out it in a high performance G70 trim but it'll get the brand out there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
On the flip side to it not having that is the increased reliability which could go a long way in scoring them fleet deals and of course being a product we can really rely on. On the downside it might not check all the boxes when compared to what else is on the market.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's a really good way of breaking it down ^^

It's always a give and take on both fronts and it's hard to really decide on which is the best route.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Adding to that I think Ford is having some problems with its EcoBoost systems which tech's at Ford dealers are all too familiar with. Maybe Hyundai is learning from those experiences? They do well with improving on what has already been done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts