Genesis G70 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a rendering by X-Tomi of what it can look like and personally, I despise wagons for their shape, but someone may find this appealing. I doubt Genesis will actually release something like this or I may be biased against it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Love how it looks which is starting to remind me a lot of the E-Class wagon. Odds are as the years go on we will see that Genesis and other brands out there get more into wagons. Already the success of SUV's and CUV's are having a positive effect on the interest around wagons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great-looking wagon!
In my opinion, there should be an option from Genesis to get a wagon with their label on it. I think it can make some competition in the current wagon market. Hope to see more information about this model soon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose if Genesis really does come out with a wagon, the model will be limited to Europe because that seems to be the trend with that body style.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I suppose if Genesis really does come out with a wagon, the model will be limited to Europe because that seems to be the trend with that body style.
Not exactly, wagon's and wagon-like CUV's and crossovers are becoming popular again in North America, so we might see Genesis do what Infiniti did with the Q30 and QX30.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's not really a wagon, aren't those considered crossovers? It doesn't have a wagon's elongated proportions and low ride height.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That's not really a wagon, aren't those considered crossovers? It doesn't have a wagon's elongated proportions and low ride height.
Crossovers ride much higher up with bigger wheels and thicker profile tires. Even the body has more height to it from rocker panel to where the window begins. So, yes, this is a pure wagon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't say its as unlikely as people may think. With crossovers and hot hatches being such huge segments at the moment, its obviously people are looking for cars that offer more utility. You don't have to look much further than the Audi a4 all road, to realize its something that people are interested in buying. I for one really like the styling of that rendering.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Looking at some other wagons i'm starting to think they should make the rear end more sloped, sort of like what we can see in the current Panamera. Making a much more affordable Panamera is the best way to give themselves an advantage. Anyone want to see that happen?

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to Autoweek, Hyundai/Genesis is "contemplating" a wagon variant; however the article kind of implies that this may only be for the European market.. (I hope not!) Also, there is talk of a coupe around 2020. Pretty sweet! I for one hope they make the wagon for the US, but if not I'm still sold on the 4-door.

Autoweek said:
The G70 sedan is expected to be followed by a coupe iteration, likely for the 2020 model year.

"There are many other white spots on the map," Fitzgerald said about holes in the lineup.

With an eye toward Genesis' entry to Europe, Lee said product planners are contemplating a wagon variant of the G70, codenamed the IK Shooting Brake.

I would attach the direct reference to the Autoweek website, but since I'm a noob at this forum it won't let me post weblinks. :c

·
Registered
387 Posts
Kia already did well with the Stinger which can be said sets the stage for a product like this to come out.

They just better make it the more affordable Panamera or Audi A7 that it should be. Both those brands have proven how profitable that segment can be.

Does anyone think this is what Genesis will do?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Kia had it right in making their own version of the Panamera and I think building on that further under Genesis will be a great way forward. Who doesn't want more luxury?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kia had it right in making their own version of the Panamera and I think building on that further under Genesis will be a great way forward. Who doesn't want more luxury?
In a wagon... its hard to find real buyers unless its from the German big three.
I will be very surprised if Genesis releases a wagon because if the whole emphasis on sedans put them so far behind on competing in SUV segments... they'll focus on SUV's next. In fact I would love to see a Genesis version of the new QX50 over a wagon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been a big fan of sporty wagons from companies like Mercedes/BMW/Audi and if Hyundai were to do this with the Genesis I think it could do some serious damage with its design and powertrain.

I wish non European automakers would take the plunge with wagons but the north american market has switched to crossovers and SUVs. If they didn't make a G70 wagon and instead make a weird G70 crossover I'd be so disappointed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts