Genesis G70 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as anyone can tell...will the G70 be priced dollar-for-dollar (USD vs. KRW)? Because I wound up on the South Korean site and clicked on Carbon Metal (paint) only to be quoted 51,800,000 KRW! I then did a currency conversion and came up with $57,555 USD! And THAT was before OPTIONS were figured in! ? ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's usually never the case because we need to take into account tariffs and shipping fees. Also sometimes cars are equipped differently for certain markets. It's good for a very general idea of what you may need to pay out of pocket, but I wouldn't start budgeting based on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as anyone can tell...will the G70 be priced dollar-for-dollar (USD vs. KRW)? Because I wound up on the South Korean site and clicked on Carbon Metal (paint) only to be quoted 51,800,000 KRW! I then did a currency conversion and came up with $57,555 USD! And THAT was before OPTIONS were figured in! ? ? ? ? ? ?
Well first off 51,800,000 KRW is 46,000 USD as of 10/16. Genesis is probably going to include options in the engine choices like they do for the G90 and G80. Everything pretty much comes included.

The G90's MSRP ranges from $68K to $74K ($68K to $71K for the 3.3T). The G80's MSRP ranges from $42K to $60K ($55K to $58K for the 3.3T). I'd say the G70 will be between $35K and $50K depending on the engine choice (2.0T or 3.3T).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well first off 51,800,000 KRW is 46,000 USD as of 10/16. Genesis is probably going to include options in the engine choices like they do for the G90 and G80. Everything pretty much comes included.

The G90's MSRP ranges from $68K to $74K ($68K to $71K for the 3.3T). The G80's MSRP ranges from $42K to $60K ($55K to $58K for the 3.3T). I'd say the G70 will be between $35K and $50K depending on the engine choice (2.0T or 3.3T).
I just went back and did the conversion again with the North Korean Won (KRW) against the dollar and came up with $57,556.0160. VHAT geeve? :confused:

I'd be more interested in lease pricing though and how the MSRP would translate into a lease!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just went back and did the conversion again with the North Korean Won (KRW) against the dollar and came up with $57,556.0160. VHAT geeve? :confused:

I'd be more interested in lease pricing though and how the MSRP would translate into a lease!
Why are you using the North Korean Won? That's KPW by the way. You need to use KRW which is used in South Korea where Genesis is building their cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are you using the North Korean Won? That's KPW by the way. You need to use KRW which is used in South Korea where Genesis is building their cars.
BOY...do I feel DUMB :eek:

Like...I shoulda KNOWN better when I saw the word NORTH! :rolleyes: Rose Nylund Syndrome...it comes & goes!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So is the entry level converted price 46,000 USD or was that converted from North Korean Won?
Again, why are we using North Korean? The KRW 51.8 MM (South Korean) on the price sheet converts to roughly $46K but that's just a ballpark figure for the top spec model when it arrives in the USA. Looks like you can add another KRW 1.6 MM for a safety package so really $48K is a loaded G70.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure that we're gonna see any North Korean vehicle on the market anytime soon:D

Anyways, I just found an article with an estimated price of $33,300 for 2019 Genesis G70 (automobilemag). What do you think about it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been doing a bit of research on this pricing. I believe the top of the line 3.3T will have a list price at approximately $42-43k USD.

My concern is that the Genesis line has a low resale value. After much research it appears the G80 & G90 lose 32% of their value in the first year compared to 9% on Honda. Don’t get me wrong...I’m a huge fan of Hyundai & Genesis!

I’m simply curious is the Genesis dealers are going to AGGRESSIVELY discount off of list price.
If so the depreciation issue is not as concerning.

Any thoughts or experiences on pricing that anyone can share? I’m most interested in hearing opinions and gaining data on pricing as I am almost certain I want to purchase a G70 when they’re released in the U.S. this spring.

Thanks in advance for your comments!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My concern is that the Genesis line has a low resale value. After much research it appears the G80 & G90 lose 32% of their value in the first year compared to 9% on Honda. Don’t get me wrong...I’m a huge fan of Hyundai & Genesis!
Anecdotal, but in 2015, you could pick up a 2yr/old Genesis sedan with low miles for about $18-20K (Northern California). Now, you pay more than that for a 2yr/old high mileage example and often the 2013 era ones are at the same price they were then. Also, Luxury cars are notorious for losing value. Check out what happens to Mercedes after 3years. The driving >:) factor here is the lease market. As luxury cars are leased, they come back on the market in 2-3yrs with low miles, and they have to go somewhere (my garage?...:wink2:).

A number of "luxury" type cars make the top 12 depreciation list on Yahoo (2016). The Genesis is not on it, but the Kia Cadenza is. Go figure.

My wife is loves her 2017 Sonata, but the G70 can't come out soon enough...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm one to keep my cars for a long time so resale value doesn't really concern me, but I doubt Genesis would give out aggressive discounts on a new model. Maybe if you wait for the holidays as that's usually a time of steep discounts and pricing offers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think one of the main reasons we've seen Hyundai's depreciate so quickly is because they, alike Kia were for the longest time seen as a "discount" brand. There's no sense in trying to sustain value in something that's seen already seen as a cheap alternative. I think with increased sales and market share, it's likely we will see these staggering figures decrease. They still have a way to go before they're identified as being of equal value to that of a Honda product.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think one of the main reasons we've seen Hyundai's depreciate so quickly is because they, alike Kia were for the longest time seen as a "discount" brand. There's no sense in trying to sustain value in something that's seen already seen as a cheap alternative. I think with increased sales and market share, it's likely we will see these staggering figures decrease. They still have a way to go before they're identified as being of equal value to that of a Honda product.
Hyundai's haven't been reliable and its why Japanese cars from the 90's held value well, they were built right from the start. No one knew they would be perceived as they are today. Its so much the case that cars like the Toyota Supra are rising a lot in value, almost to the $75,000-100,000 mark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Genesis Canada has just released pricing for the G70. Rather than having options they offer 6 models of the G70 from the base 2.0T to the fully loaded 3.3T with adaptive suspension. The Canadian pricing goes from $42,000. to $57,500 Canadian dollars. This is probably without a destination fee of about $1000. So, using current conversion rates of .78 US dollars to 1 Canadian dollar we get a US price of: $32,760 base to $44,850 fully loaded 3.3T vehicle! Now that is a sweet deal!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great Canadian Pricing

Genesis Canada has just released pricing for the G70. Rather than having options they offer 6 models of the G70 from the base 2.0T to the fully loaded 3.3T with adaptive suspension. The Canadian pricing goes from $42,000. to $57,500 Canadian dollars. This is probably without a destination fee of about $1000. So, using current conversion rates of .78 US dollars to 1 Canadian dollar we get a US price of: $32,760 base to $44,850 fully loaded 3.3T vehicle! Now that is a sweet deal!!!

AND compare to pricing in S. Korea: base $35,550 to $49,100 fully loaded using current conversion rate. So, not that far off. I expect the pricing to be close to the Canadian pricing noted above. Compare that to a MB C AMG or BMW 3 with large engine and the Genesis G70 blows them away!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Even the entry-level trim is already well equipped so you don't really need to go for the range topping one and that destination fee is negotiable. Just need to be willing to browse around more than one dealership and maybe travel a bit farther. I think pre-orders for the 2019 Genesis G70 will go on until the middle of this month and then they should start arriving shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The new model will also be coming with five years of complimentary service, including concierge at-home pickup and delivery, increasing its value even further. Pretty impressed by the list of standard features/tech on the upcoming model. Looks like this could be the best time to buy into the Genesis brand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

AND compare to pricing in S. Korea: base $35,550 to $49,100 fully loaded using current conversion rate. So, not that far off. I expect the pricing to be close to the Canadian pricing noted above. Compare that to a MB C AMG or BMW 3 with large engine and the Genesis G70 blows them away!!!

Yeah...$44,850 really WOULD be a sweet deal...but then I have to consider that the Kia Stinger GT is going for $51k fully loaded.

So there's that...

·
Registered
4 Posts
A lot of G70 are same with Kia Stinger so my guess would be around the same in price with Stinger. of course it will vary a bit base on Options. I say top of the line will be about 46-47k USD.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts