Genesis G70 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
A lot of G70 are same with Kia Stinger so my guess would be around the same in price with Stinger. of course it will vary a bit base on Options. I say top of the line will be about 46-47k USD.

That would be great. But given that Genesis is the premium brand and Kia isn't, it may not happen. I suppose that because the Stinger is the larger car, it might be priced higher but it seems unlikely somehow. Also, didn't the US-spec Stinger delete some stuff (like 360 camera) that was standard on the Canadian version? If that stuff is all included on the G70, that's another cost pressure.

Honestly, I think it would be really smart for Genesis to come in with a very aggressive price, use that to generate sales and a lot of buzz, and then build on that positive response over time with the proposed later Genesis models, like SUVs. If the G70 lays an egg because of too high a price, I think the whole Genesis concept will suffer.

There are lots of premium sport sedans (and coupes) available from both Europe and Japan. Genesis is the new kid on the block and, in this segment, I think inertia counts for a lot. Returning to a brand and a dealer who've served customers well in the past is definitely the path of least resistance. And sport sedans aren't winning a whole lot of new recruits. In fact, the SUV market is bleeding off existing sort sedan owners in substantial numbers. Genesis sales are down from last year and the SUVs are at least a couple of years away. But sufficiently aggressive pricing could get people to take another look, perhaps forego their usual brand or an SUV, and give the new kid a try. I think the car will be good enough to support that scenario but if the pricing isn't really attractive, I think a lot of potential customers won't bother looking.

So, Genesis has a chance to get this right and lay a solid foundation for the future but I think that is going to be price dependent. Perhaps the "have your cake and eat it too" option is to have higher MSRPs than comparable Stingers but be willing to discount pretty steeply in the first year. This is what Hyundai did with the earliest Genesis offerings when they were still Hyundais. And I think it worked, based on the fact that shortly thereafter they decided to create Genesis as a separate division. Even though the constituent components of the G70 have been used in other cars, they've never before been combined in this configuration. So buyers are taking somewhat of a risk (offset to a degree by service and warranty protection). A financial incentive for being risk-taking early adopters seems both warranted and in the longer term interest of the Genesis brand. The nice thing about this strategy is that the higher MSRP conveys the idea of a premium brand, placed above the Stinger, while the substantially lower street price would foster more robust sales. The downside of this strategy is that some potential buyers may look at the MSRP and think about the other options available at comparable prices. They might decide that that's just too much to pay for a car in its first year of production from a company that they're not already comfortable with, and choose to spend somewhat more for an established brand. For the strategy to really work, Genesis would have to let it be known that initial prices will be well below MSRP. If that message spreads, I think that's the pathway to success for them.

But I could be wrong. Only time will tell which pricing strategy they adopt and how well it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was refer to Trim / Engine / Power
Source: Motor Trend
There are many variations due to Package / Option ect. that controlling the Total price.
IMO G70 more on the Luxury side but it aimed to competitions so pricing wise it would not be to much more, i think :)
Everything is just guessing right now, we shall know soon.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts