Genesis G70 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend got their hands on a G70 with the 2.0 liter engine and tested it with some of its German competitors. It's not going to blow away anyone on the race track but it seems to handle its own on the roads.

Our G70 2.0T tester's 2.0-liter turbo-four produces 252 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque, compared to 365 hp and 376 lb-ft from the 3.3T model's 3.3-liter twin-turbo V-6. Acceleration drops accordingly; its 0-60 time of 6.2 seconds is a second and a half behind the six-cylinder version of our Car of the Year champ. It's also slower than all-wheel-drive Audi A4s we've tested; those cars hit 60 in 5.0-5.4 seconds despite having identical displacement and horsepower.

The four-cylinder G70 completed the quarter-mile sprint in 14.7 seconds at 93.9 mph, falling behind the Mercedes C 300's 14.1 seconds at 99.9 mph. Supposedly the Genesis has launch control, but road test editor Chris Walton found it didn't help—enabling it produced "a little chirp from the tires, then the engine bogs a bit. Trying various rpm brake releases produced nearly identical runs."
Outside of a dragstrip, however, the 2.0T model doesn't leave the driver wanting for acceleration. Clearly it's turbocharged; there's a bit of lag as power arrives a moment after the driver's input. Keep it on boost, though, and it rushes toward its 6,200-rpm horsepower peak. Genesis attempts to amplify the experience by playing an artificial engine note inside the cabin, but its organic delivery had us wondering what effect it had.

In casual driving, the Genesis-designed eight-speed automatic transmission shifts with just enough feeling to let the driver know something's happening. Hit the upshift paddle under generous throttle, and it responds with a satisfying kick into the next gear. However, the downshift paddle wasn't so reactive. In real-world and track testing, multiple taps often wouldn't engage a lower gear while braking.
We summed up our 2019 Car of the Year report by praising Genesis for "accomplishing the near impossible: It built a better 3 Series." Again, in a recent comparison, the G70 2.0T beat the 330i (but was bested by the Tesla Model 3), our testers saying the Korean car "represents the pinnacle of a segment." To answer our earlier questions, yes, the G70 is still excellent even with the smaller engine. And yes, it still beats the 3 Series.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I hope some tuning magazine like SuperStreet follows the G70 2.0 enough and eventually does a build, or some similar publication. It could be the next best tuner car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The days to SEMA are counting down fast so I hope its even more motivation for what I mentioned to happen. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts