Genesis G70 Forum banner

Opinions requested on vehicle comparison G70 vs TLX Type S vs A4

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  synbios1978 
#1 ·
I'm jumping the gun on this post a bit, but driving myself crazy waiting for more news on the 2022 G70. I'm in a nice spot where I don't have to upgrade my vehicle this year, but it's increasingly looking like I'm going to. I also know I'm asking this question on a G70 forum where most answers are going to be leaning towards the G70, but I am curious for some info as I'm sure several of you debated with a similar topic before deciding on the G70. Anyway, on to my questions.

Since 2019, I've had my eyes on a G70 V6 Sport AWD as I've always loved the Genesis from it's initial release, but the lack of AWD killed it for me. I'm in Ohio and having RWD isn't a great option for my primary vehicle. I'm looking in the 50-55k range, would prefer 50, but can go to 55. My other requirements are it needs ventilated seats and a heads-up display. And my nice to have is a sub 5 second vehicle for 0-60 time. I don't really use it, but screw it, if I can have it, why not.

Anyway, I've been admiring the G70 for a couple years. I also really like the looks of the new 2021 Acura TLX, especially with the ambient lighting, but the performance is way underwhelming, but I'm hoping the Type-S engine will help that a bit. The third vehicle that I am looking at is the Audi A4. The virtual cockpit looks amazing, along with wireless apple carplay, but I know you can't really use the two together, at least for navigation. (I also looked at the 330i, but the performance isn't really where I'd want it to be)

I guess my questions for the group here are, when you guys were deciding on the G70, what other vehicles did you look at, and what was your deciding factor? Also, how have you enjoyed your G70's, and I know there are some mid-life changes coming in the 2022 version, but in the existing ones, are there any quirks you've ran into? (Like Car Play not interacting on a heads-up display, etc). Although I'm guessing most G70's are still covered under warranty, how is the service been on them and the normal maintenance code costs?

I plan to ultimately test drive all 3 once they're out. The a4 is out, the TLX type s comes out in May, and I think the 2022 G70 is due out not too far into the future, but after my current car and it's resident gremlins, I would really value any feedback from the forum as I begin to make my decision over the next couple months.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Great question. I almost test drove a 2020 g70, but I knew if I drove it, I'd probably get it, and based on the down payment I had saved, I wasn't in a great position to get it at the time, so I haven't test drove one yet. However, I have read a large number of reviews and write-ups by various car magazines, youtube videos of some of the reviews, etc. The things I really liked was the bang for your buck. When compared to a bmw 340i (apples and oranges in a lot of ways), the 340i is definitely faster, but for around 15k less, the g70 holds its own and is a better day to day car to drive. Its always at the top of the review charts in its class. And it brings a good awd, v6 twin turbo vehicle that seems to know how to have fun, yet be a nice everyday car as well.

I've only seen pics of the 2022, and honestly I'm still split on whether I love or hate the split head and tail lights. When I first saw them, I hated them, but the more I see it, the more they grow on me. I love the look of the new infotainment in the 2022. I know Genesis/Hyundai has always been known for having a great warranty, and their quality over the past 5-7 years seems to be really improved.
I don't really want a European vehicle with the overhead and maintenance costs associated. I feel like I can get a much bigger bang for my buck with the genesis brand.
In many ways, thats why I've been comparing it with the Acura TLX. I don't feel like I'm paying a huge premium for the Acura symbol on the front of the vehicle, just like the Genesis.
I love bells and whistles on a car. The one thing I really do love about the TLX that I'm not sure if the g70 has is the ambient lighting.
However, that's not the end all be all for me in this decision.
Hopefully that's enough info to get started. Please feel free to ask me any questions, as I'll be happy to answer.
Please excuse any typos as this was done on my phone.

I should also add, there usually won't be more than 2 people in the car, as my wife and I don't have kids and the only person who would be in the back seat is a coworker at lunch time, but he's on the smaller side, so back seat space shouldn't be an issue.

#4 · (Edited)
I paid $43,000 out the door for my 2020 g70 sport awd. That right there was case closed.

My wife and I also looked at the Kia Stinger and the Mazda 3 turbo. Yes a Mazda 3 but we love Mazda. The Acura is a front-wheel drive platform not paying that kind of money for a front-wheel drive platform.

They G70 is a great car and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I wish the exhaust system had more character. I also wish they had put a high performance all season tire on the awd drive model instead of a all season touring tire.

#5 ·
The comparable Audi is the S4, not the A4. The A4 is a quiet, calm sedan with not much power, and Audi's have a reputation for constant recalls. The Acura.....front wheel drive....need I say more?

The V6 twin turbo G70 is a blast to drive. Love mine, and its had no problems in the year I've had it. It is small, and it does guzzle gas. I suggest not getting too excited about a heads up display. If you wear polarized sunglasses, like I do, the display is virtually invisible. works great at night though.

#6 ·
Thank you guys for the replies. The reason I'm comparing the A4 on the Audi is, despite the obvious engine discrepancy, it still does 0-60 in 5.2, and the S4 is a completely different league price wise (Over 60k fully equipped). The TLX is AWD (options on all tiers, and the type S only comes in AWD), which from all account Acura's SH-AWD is phenomenal. The Audi maintenance and repair cost does worry me a fair amount on that front.

I had a heads-up display in my 01 Grand Prix GTP and fell in love. Didn't in an 08 Accord, and got rid of the Accord for a 13 Buick Lacrosse because I missed it so much. I gave up on Polarized sunglasses years ago, as it wasn't only the heads-up display that it gave issues with, but even the Navi in the Accord wouldn't work with them.

It is good to hear though that everyone is having a blast driving it. MPG doesn't bother me much, as I only work a mile from my house, so any major driving I'm doing is pretty much for fun. Any word on how it handles in snow with AWD?

#7 ·
I looked at almost every sport sedan on the market. I went with the 2020 G70 3.3T Sport AWD in Savile Silver. I've had it for about a year and don't regret my purchase whatsoever.

Before the G70 I had a BMW 328i and was very tired of the maintenance cost and dealing with BMW dealerships. They take all your money. Because of that, I avoided everything German. Similar to you, I actually test drove the Infiniti Q60 RedSport 400 but ended up deciding it wasn't for me. Looked at a used Caddy ATS-V but that was a dying car and poor interior/infotainment.

I would get behind the wheel of all of them. In my opinion, G70 had just about every feature and was less expensive. Also, the 3 years maintenance coverage is another thing that sold me. After a year of owning it, plenty of power, a blast to drive, I've never looked back...

#8 ·
Awesome, thanks Claya_Clay. That's what has me worried about most European vehicles. I want a fun car with it's bells and whistles, but I don't want to feel like I'm being dragged over the coals and getting nickled and dimed (or hundreds of dollars) to death. I saw where they just released the 2022 G70 pricing, and thankfully it isn't too big of a jump. I'll probably wait for financing specials on the 22 G70 to begin, then do a test drive. See what the TLX Type S has features and review wise, but if I were buying today, I'm definitely leaning G70.

#10 ·
Yeah, also no heads-up display in the TLX, which is a deal breaker for me. So, once the 2022 G70 is readily available in my area, and hopefully once they run a decent financing deal, I will go test drive, probably fall in love, and purchase one.

One question for anyone who owns one in a snowy area, how does the AWD model do in snowy weather?

#11 ·
I live in Wisconsin and the AWD handles the snow very well.

To be honest, I didn't drive it a whole lot or very far in the snow. However, I did a test in my neighborhood when I was on top of packed snow. I came to a full stop and gave it a good amount of gas and it seemed to claw itself forward very well. A general rule is that it will handle the snow just fine as long as it is not higher than the bottom of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.