Genesis G70 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if everyone uses premium fuel or if you use regular?
And if you use regular, do you actually FEEL a difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wouldn't that cause issues down the road and ultimately void our warranty? I was always under the assumption that it was highly discouraged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just curious if everyone uses premium fuel or if you use regular?
And if you use regular, do you actually FEEL a difference?
I always use premium. I only drive about 5,000 miles per year, so the $ difference is not material.

·
Registered
467 Posts
mentioning whether you are leasing or buying will help, my guess is we'll see more leases using regular grade

·
Registered
23 Posts
mentioning whether you are leasing or buying will help, my guess is we'll see more leases using regular grade
I can tell you right now that at least 80% of people leasing will be using regular grade.

If it causes problems they aren't likely to show up within the lease term.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is a reason the OM recommends premium fuel. It has better anti knock qualities. Higher detergent levels. More complete burn. Less likely to cause spark plug deterioration. And most important ......... Yield baby .......... Yield ! The more premium sold, the higher the gross profit to the refiners. The more the refiners make, the greater the dividends paid. My retirement portfolio is heavy in gas and oil. I want a new fishing boat like this ..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking into getting myself a G70... My wife has a 2019 Santa Fe 2.0T and I think its basically the same engine as the G70 2.0T just tuned for a bit more HP.. the Torque is the same...

I was a bit disappointed that the G70 calls for Premium fuel. and the HP difference is only like 20HP...

·
Registered
467 Posts
There is a reason the OM recommends premium fuel. It has better anti knock qualities. Higher detergent levels. More complete burn. Less likely to cause spark plug deterioration. And most important ......... Yield baby .......... Yield ! The more premium sold, the higher the gross profit to the refiners. The more the refiners make, the greater the dividends paid. My retirement portfolio is heavy in gas and oil. I want a new fishing boat like this .......... View attachment 439
I hope you have money on Shell or companies like it that are investing into renewable sources.

Back on the G70...
Is it true the ONLY downside to using regular in a car that calls for Premium is just less power output?
Or will we be doing damage?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The recommendation to use 91/93 octane isn't made by the Genesis/Hyundai engineering dept. just for the hell of it. There is a sound reason behind it. Want to cheap out and buy 87 oct ? Go for it. It's your car, your car's engine. Keep in mind that should there be any kind of catastrophic powertrain failure while the car is covered by the 100K warranty, a snapshot of the ECU will show the load conditions the engine was operating under at that point in time. Odds are that Genesis/Hyundai will also require a fuel sample. There will be no way to hide the fact that the car has been fed a diet of junk regular. ymmv

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would have to verify via specs , but the only reason I would see the G70 needing the 91/93 is they increased the compression ratio on the G70 version of the 2.0T ver the Santa FE 2.0T for example..

The recommendation to use 91/93 octane isn't made by the Genesis/Hyundai engineering dept. just for the hell of it. There is a sound reason behind it. Want to cheap out and buy 87 oct ? Go for it. It's your car, your car's engine. Keep in mind that should there be any kind of catastrophic powertrain failure while the car is covered by the 100K warranty, a snapshot of the ECU will show the load conditions the engine was operating under at that point in time. Odds are that Genesis/Hyundai will also require a fuel sample. There will be no way to hide the fact that the car has been fed a diet of junk regular. ymmv

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I simply do not understand this desire by some to cheap out on fuel. We encounter this same issue periodically on the Corvette forums. Plain and simple ......... The feds require any motor vehicle built after a certain model year and sold in this country be capable of running on 87* oct. This being so that one would not be stranded should 91*/93* oct. not be immediately available. The entire idea being that it allows one to get to a point where higher oct fuel is available. Upon sensing a drop in oct. rating, the ECU will pull timing. This not only can be felt, it can be confirmed on a dynamometer. That is how the factory engineering team programs the pre production ECU's used in the test mules to start with. This is similar to the fool that continues to drive with a burned out headlight, bald tires, bad windshield wipers, etc. If you can't afford to keep the upkeep, you can't afford the car. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Valid points. Thought I would ask having seen many do it with German cars which might account for the obvious :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Valid points. Thought I would ask having seen many do it with German cars which might account for the obvious :D
And if they set fire to themselves because it makes the feel illuminated (pun intended) will you do the same ? Pictures or it didn't really happen .......... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
And
I can tell you right now that at least 80% of people leasing will be using regular grade.

If it causes problems they aren't likely to show up within the lease term.
This is why I'd never buy a pre owned, leased vehicle. If cutting corners on gas, then what other corners are being cut?

If folks cant afford the price of the recommended fuel, then dont buy or lease a high performance luxury car. I always, only use 93 octane from the approved big brands (Shell, Mobil, etc.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It makes me wonder as I already noted above.. since the G70 uses the same engine as the 2019+ Santa Fe but just has a bit higher compression and it only gets a few mores horses (torque the same) which is why it calls for the 93 Octane, its almost like to me a marketing gimmick where they have to engineer the engine with a higher compression to call for 93 as it gives the IMPRESSION its a luxury level car that NEEDS the PREMIUM fuel..

Wonder how it would seem from a marketing perspective and IMPRESSION if Genisis , BMW , Ferrari.. etc... would market their cars where they state their high performance car only needs 87 octane fuel.. Hmmmmmm.. I wonder...

·
Registered
43 Posts
cb900f, it's not a marketing gimmick. There is a noticeable performance drop with 87 oct vs 91/93 oct. The ECU pulled timing sucks. It is noticeable even w/o the use of a dyno. Try driving a 3.3T with 87 oct in ECO mode for a week or so .......

·
Registered
10 Posts
It makes me wonder as I already noted above.. since the G70 uses the same engine as the 2019+ Santa Fe but just has a bit higher compression and it only gets a few mores horses (torque the same) which is why it calls for the 93 Octane, its almost like to me a marketing gimmick where they have to engineer the engine with a higher compression to call for 93 as it gives the IMPRESSION its a luxury level car that NEEDS the PREMIUM fuel..

Wonder how it would seem from a marketing perspective and IMPRESSION if Genisis , BMW , Ferrari.. etc... would market their cars where they state their high performance car only needs 87 octane fuel.. Hmmmmmm.. I wonder...
Increased compression requires higher octane fuel. Sure, it will run on lesser grades, but performance will be reduced because the computer will pull timing to prevent knocking.

I can't even believe this is a discussion. Folks chose to buy a high performance luxury car that recommends premium fuel. If that was going to be an issue, then should have gone with a different car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We go through the same sh*t on the Corvette forum. Peeps buy a 600 hp/600 ft lb torque Z06 and wonder why they can't run Uncle Sam's corner store 87 oct without severe engine knock. Worse, said person is driving on our streets. Gag .......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Buying used is a good option for those same people or realizing what ACTUALLY fits their budget with all costs accounted for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts